So, who’s going to stand up for solar? Here are five reasons why solar power beats the pants of coal:
(1) Solar is clean. Once up and running, a solar energy system is a zero-emissions source of power. No carbon-dioxide. No sulfur dioxide. No arsenic. No air-borne particulates… Essentially none of the environmental and health hazards associated with coal-fired power plants.
(2) Coal is old energy. Think about it: when you combust coal, you’re essentially burning dead plant material that was buried millions of years ago. Plus, coal has been mined for use as a fuel as far back as 10,000 years ago in China. Talk about yesterday’s energy…
A solar PV panel, by contrast, generates electricity using new energy from the sun. Literally: it takes about 11 minutes from when the sunlight leaves the sun, hits your solar panels and gets converted into juice to power your flatscreen TV.
(3) Coal is a finite resource. I’m not going to lie: we here in the U.S. are blessed (maybe cursed?) with vast coal reserves; we’ve got a hundred years or more worth of the stuff. But if I were going to put my money on which will happen first — we run out of coal or the sun burns out — I’d be all in on the former.
(4) Cost-wise, solar is closing in on coal. New analysis from Bloomberg New Energy Finance suggests that, as the cost of generating electricity from the sun continues to fall, solar power may soon rival coal-fired plants.
(5) Solar panels generate electricity at a fixed price. Since the “fuel” that powers solar panels comes from the sun, you don’t have to pay for it. As a result, the price of the resulting electricity won’t fluctuate over time. (Indeed, this is one of the great benefits of owning a solar energy system: as the price of conventional electricity increases over time, the impact of these hikes on your monthly energy costs is minimized.)
In contrast, operators of coal-fueled plants have to take into consideration price fluctuations of their main input, coal.
List your own reasons why Clean Solar Energy beats the burning the Dirty Fossil Fuels in the comment section below. Scotty Article was cross posted
List you own areas that Clean Renewable Energy via Solar Photovoltaic, CSP (Concentrated Solar Power) is better than Fossil Fuels Dirty Energy From Dirty Coal