Follow us on:
MCE Monthly Digest
Once a month, MCE sends a brief update on the work of each of our program areas. If you’d like to receive a program’s more frequent updates, click the "update profile" link at the bottom of this email.
Clean Energy Program
Renew Missouri works to advance renewable energy and energy efficiency in Missouri.
Solar stops in Missouri….and starts again: More than $2 million has been paid out in solar rebates by Ameren Missouri and Kansas City Power & Light since the programs began in January 2009 due to Proposition C. This month, both utilities froze their utility programs for over 3 weeks, which threatened the future of solar in Missouri and the livelihood of over 35 solar businesses in Missouri. Utilities blamed a court ruling which may have declared the rebates unconstitutional, however this week that same court reversed its decision and ordered the utilities to resume their solar rebate programs. This means the utilities should have their programs back up and running by the time you read this email.
Clean Water Program
The MCE Water Program works to promote Missouri’s water quality, preserve and restore floodplains and wetlands, and advocate for sustainable stormwater management
MCE joined members of the Mississippi River Collaborative in Chicago to discuss strategies for reducing the Dead Zone in the Gulf of Mexico and restoring the Mississippi River.
Also this month:
We evaluated and prepared comments on Missouri’s proposed revision of water quality standards. It is our conclusion that the proposed revisions are not even a half-measure when it comes to the protections promised by the Clean Water Act. Stay tuned for a sign-on letter you can sign to help support clean water in the coming months!
- We are doing research into the impact of lost wetlands and floodplains in Missouri on water quality and flooding in the context of an increasingly widespread and persistent Gulf Dead Zone and the ever more frequent flooding in the Mississippi River Basin.
- The first Kiefer Creek Watershed Planning meetings was
No-CWIP – MCE will do LIVE Debate with Ameren
MCE’s very own Ed Smith will debate a representative from Ameren about the risks of nuclear power. The event will take place September 6th at the Ethical Society in Clayton. Check it out – don’t miss this.
MCE Membership Program
Stay up to date and active in protecting the environment. you can personalize your membership by selecting to stay informed by the issues you care most about.
- Save the Date: Poured – A Taste of Space – MCE’s 2011 Wine and Cheese Event in St. Louis, Missouri. Join us the Coalition for a night of delicious wine and cheese tasting, wine appreciation sessions, live music, auction and more. Get your tickets now.
- Volunteer Opportunities are among us such as Loop Chalkfest, Green Homes Great Health Festival and our wine and cheese fundraiser. Please let me know if you want to join the Coalition at our dfarrand for more information.
St. Louis: You should know…
- The Carter Carburetor Citizens Advocacy Group (CCCAG) hosted two panel discussions exploring "Carter Carburetor-Addressing Contamination and Beyond" July 6. The next CCCAG meeting will be August 10 at at 6:30 p.m. at the Herbert Hoover Boys and Girls Club at 2901 N. Grand in St. Louis.
- The EPA plans to announce results from off-site testing of properties adjacent to the Carter Carburet or site at N. Grand and St. Louis Ave. at a meeting August 9 at 7:00 p.m. at Herbert Hoover Boys and Girls Club at 2901 N. Grand in St. Louis.
|Missouri Coalition for the Environment | 6267 Delmar Blvd., Ste. 2E | St. Louis | MO | 63130|