- If you are opposed to sewage running in streams in your community's parks, sewage backing up in your basements, and our streams being incorporated into our region's sewer system as if that is their sole purpose, please weigh in at the St. Louis Metropolitan Sewer District (MSD) rate hearings
Follow us on:
Ignacia Moreno, assistant attorney general for the Department of Justice's Environment and Natural Resources Division, Richard Callahan, US Attorney, and Karl Brooks, EPA Region VII Director announce the MSD Consent Decree.
If you are opposed to sewage running in streams in your community's parks, sewage backing up in your basements, and our streams being incorporated into our region's sewer system as if that is their sole purpose, please weigh in at the St. Louis Metropolitan Sewer District (MSD) rate hearings. These hearings are about clean water- Do we want it? Are we willing to pay for it? Is it cheaper than dirty water? Are we ready to enter the 21st century and leave the 19th century behind?
Here's What the MSD Clean Water Rate Hikes Are About:
- It's $4.7 billion and 23 years of blue collar and engineering job stimulus for our region.
- It's kids splashing in streams, chasing fish, frogs and crawdads when the work is done.
- It's basements that are dry…and not filled with disease-causing sewage after every rain.
- It's smallmouth bass in Deer Creek again – remember those days?
- It's swimming in Maline Creek and knowing it's not filled with germ-laden sewage when the work is finished.
- It's your family's property values preserved because the flooding and sewage back ups are gone.
- It's this generation taking responsibility for our right to clean water and building a clean water infrastructure for our children and their children.
St. Louis deserves clean water.
MSD public hearings- 3 left!
8/20- Saturday, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., Cliff Cave Branch Library, 5430 Telegraph Road
8/22-Monday, 6 to 9 p.m., Florissant Valley Branch Library, 195 S. New Florissant Road
8/24-Wednesday, Herbert Hoover Boys & Girls Club, 2901 N. Grand
And the final one in September: Monday, Sept. 26, Metropolitan Sewer District, 2350 Market St.
The Rate Commission can approve MSD's proposal, modify it, or reject it entirely. Now is your time to be heard! The Commission will make its recommendation in October to the MSD board.
The proposal will be up on our website next week. It would raise monthly wastewater bills about $3-4 each year in the years between 2012 and 2016 and use bond financing for the investments in new sewer infrastructure. The projects would take 23 years to complete and cost approximately $4.7 billion.
On a related note
You'll recall that it was our work that prompted the EPA to finally take action on the more than 200 illegal sewer overflows that dot the entire St. Louis region.
After four years in settlement talks, we have signed a Consent Decree with MSD and the Dept. of Justice that requires MSD to make the infrastructure investments to elminate its illegal sewage overflows and reduce overflows to waters in the combined sewer area.The Consent Decree includes a commitment for funding a green infrastructure pilot project and $100 million for green infrastructure to help reduce sewage flowing into the Mississippi River.
Thank you for helping us advance clean water and jobs in the region.
August 23- Maryland Heights Residents for Responsible Growth anticipates a hearing August 23rd at 7 p.m. at the Maryland Heights Government Center (11911 Dorsett Road, Maryland Heights, MO) on the zoning application for Maryland Pointe, a "retail destination" development proposal adjacent to Creve Coeur Lake Park. See our blog for details.
Audubon Center at Riverlands & the Missouri Botanical Garden Premier "Green Fire: Aldo Leopold and a Land Ethic for our Time"
Friday, August 26 from 6:30pm
Missouri Botanical Garden, Monsanto Hall
4344 Shaw Blvd, St. Louis, MO 63110
Movie begins at 6:30pm with a cocktail reception following at 8:00pm. Cost: $20 per person.
Missouri Coalition for the Environment | 6267 Delmar Blvd., Ste. 2E | St. Louis | MO | 63130